About the job
We are looking for a full time Infrastructure Engineer (Network Engineer) in Durban. To qualify for the role, the ideal candidate will have proven experience working in an engineering role with sound knowledge in the latest industry technologies.
- Provide support for maintenance, support and development of a secure, reliable, and efficient network, security and voice infrastructure that provides platform for Borwood services.
- Provide operational support for Borwood customers, resolving incidents, managing service requests and actively monitoring infrastructure service
- Using appropriate tools, resources and processes to troubleshoot and manage IT problems and incidents
- Work with customers and Borwood staff for problem resolution
- Engage with vendors as necessary to resolve network, security, system and voice faults and performance issues
- Participate in 7 day support schedules and rotas
- Be a single point of contact (SPOC) for incident and service request resolution
- Build relationships with all Borwood stakeholders internal and external
- Perform maintenance and system upgrades for company network, security, systems and voice infrastructure.
- Configuration of network, security and voice equipment and systems
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure success of network changes.
- Assist in the installation of equipment, and provisioning of new services, as required.
- Participate in departmental meetings, training sessions and company activities as required.
- Use appropriate configurations, tools and follow relevant procedures to assure the security of the network.
- Work closely with broader team to provide support for core and customer engineering projects.
- Proactively highlight and escalate any observed vulnerabilities within Borwood infrastructure.
On-going Reporting and Monitoring
- Assist in monitoring key performance metrics and indicators for IT infrastructure to ensure service availability.
- Assist in the monitoring of infrastructure resource utilisation, trending, and capacity planning.
- Provide reporting on technical services as required by the business.
- As required, create and update documentation for all relevant procedures, solutions and architectures
- As required, document agreed procedures and designs.
- Provide technical expertise as required to assist in business development and opportunities.
Necessary Experience and/or Qualification
- 2-5 years of hands-on experience in an IT/ISP/ Telecoms environment
- Knowledge and experience of physical network, systems, security or voice infrastructure
- Understanding of basic networking concepts
- Experience in a customer-facing role, providing support for IT services
- Technical knowledge and experience working with Cisco network platforms
- Knowledge and experience of physical network infrastructure
- Knowledge / experience of voice configurations an advantage
- Knowledge / experience of firewall configurations an advantage
- Knowledge / experience of Linux systems administration an advantage
- Relevant certifications advantageous
Personal Skills/Competencies Required
- Ability to communicate in an understandable, polite and friendly manner, both written and verbal
- Self-motivated and able to work under the guidance of other network engineers
- Contribution to continuous improvement and innovation
- Adopting a thorough and organised approach to work
Salary: Market Related